School of Pure & Applied Physics
Phone: +91 9447000537
Academic Qualifications: M.Sc., Ph.D.
- M.Sc. Physics with specilization in Solid State Physics from Cochin University of Science and Technology
- Ph.D. Degree in Physics under the faculty of Science from Mahatma Gandhi University Kottayam in
Title of Ph.D. thesis:
Growth and Characterization of mixed rare earth oxalate crystals
Fellowships awarded : Senior Research Fellowship awarded by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, Govt. of India
Crystal Growth and Characterization
The Crystalline materials research group started by Prof. M A Ittyachen, has done considerable work on the growth of high quality organic and inorganic single crystals and its characterization and study of physical properties. The group was successful in the growth of a number of technologically important crystals of rare earth oxalates, molybdates, selenites, etc. Currently, the group is focusing on the synthesis and characterization of rare earth based single and nano crystals.
The magnetic and luminescent properties of rare earth based compounds make them technologically important which prompted the development of a series of new materials based on rare earths having applications in almost all the fields of modern technology. A number of rare earth based single crystals in the oxalate, oxide, phosphate and molybdate forms have been synthesized employing solution method, hydrosilica gel method, co-precipitation method, microwave assisted method, etc. Synthesis of different forms of nanostructures is also undertaken in search of enhancement of performance.
- Number of research students – 6
- Number of students awarded Ph. D Degree – 2
Total no. of research publications : 116
Total citations – 1140
h –index – 17
Recent Research Publications
- Spectroscopic and phonon side band analysis of Tb 2−x Eu x (MoO 4 ) 3 nanophosphor K P Mani, G Vimal, P R Biju, N V Unnikrishnan, M A Ittyachen, Cyriac Joseph, Journal of Molecular Structure 1105 (2016) 279
- Tunable emission and excited state absorption induced optical limiting in Tb 2 (MoO 4 ) 3 :Sm 3+ /Eu 3+ nanophosphors K P Mani, P Sreekanth, G Vimal, P R Biju, N V Unnikrishnan, M A Ittyachen, R Philip, Cyriac Joseph, Optical Materials 62 (2016) 110
- Growth and characterization of Sm 3+ doped cerium oxalate single crystals M C Mary, G Vimal, K P Mani, G Jose, P R Biju, NV Unnikrishnan, Cyriac Joseph, Journal of materials Research and Technology 5(3) (2016) 268
- Evidence for enhanced optical properties through plasmon resonance energy transfer in silver silica nanocomposites B Mol, L K Joy, H Thomas, V Thomas, Cyriac Joseph, T N Narayanan, N V Unnikrishnan, M
R Anantharaman, Nanotechnology 27 (8) (2016) 085701
- Synthesis and optical characterization of host sensitized color tunable Tb 2-x Eu x (MoO 4 ) 3 nanophosphors for optoelectronic applications K P Mani, P Sreekanth, G Vimal, P R Biju, N V Unnikrishnan, M A Ittyachen, R Philip,Cyriac Joseph, Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics 27(2016) 966
- Photoluminescence properties of fully concentrated Terbium oxalate: A novel efficient green emitting phosphor Dinu Alexander, K Thomas, S Sisira, G Vimal, KP Mani, P R Biju, N V Unnikrishnan, M A Ittyachan, Cyriac Joseph, Materials Letters 189 (2017) 160
- Microstructural characterization and optical properties of green emitting hexagonal and monoclinic CePO 4 : Tb 3+ nanocrystals S Sisira, D Alexander, K Thomas, G Vimal, K P Mani, P R Biju, NV Unnikrishnan, Cyriac Joseph,Materials Research Express 4 (2) (2017) 025010.
- NUV/Blue LED excitable intense green emitting Terbium doped Lanthanum molybdate nanophosphors for white LED applications Kukku Thomas, D Alexander, S Sisira, P R Biju, N V Unnikrishnan, M A Ittyachan,
Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics : DOI 10.1007/s10854-017- 7708-6
- Effect of annealing temperature on the luminescence of Ce 1-x PO 4 : Tb x 3+ nanocrystals: A novel theoretical model and experimental verification S Sisira, D Alexander, K Thomas, G Vimal, K P Mani, P R Biju, NV Unnikrishnan,Cyriac Joseph
Journal of Materials Science : DOI 10.1007/s10853-017- 1600-x
- Synthesis and optical characterization of sub-5 nm Terbium oxalate nanocrystals: A novel intense green emitting phosphor Dinu Alexander, K Thomas, S Sisira, G Vimal, KP Mani, P R Biju, N V Unnikrishnan, M A
Ittyachan, Cyriac Joseph
Dyes and Pigments 148 (2018) 386