Dr. Smijesh N. joined the School of Pure & Applied Physics as an Assistant Professor in October 2019. He completed his doctoral studies from the Department of Physics, National Institute of Technology Calicut (NITC), Kerala India in 2014 and has postdoctoral experience in international laboratories for around 5 years. He worked as a postdoctoral fellow at the Raman Research Institute (Oct 2014 – Feb 2015) and joined the Australian Attosecond Science Facility (AASF), Griffith University, Australia (Mar 2015 – Nov 2017) as a postdoctoral researcher. Further, he worked at the Relativistic Attosecond Science Laboratory (REAL), Ume ̊a University, Ume ̊a, Sweden (Jan 2018 – Oct 2019) as a postdoc before joining the Mahatma Gandhi University. During this period, he has gained experience in the field of intense light-matter interaction, with his expertise in the field of Ultrafast and Attosecond Physics, which has a lot of applications in various fields ranging from physics to medicine. He has 18 publications in peer-reviewed journals and has attended several international/national conferences in India and Abroad. Currently, he is an Adjunct Research Fellow at the Centre for Quantum Dynamics, Griffith University, Australia.
Contact: +91 (0) 9946326883 (Mob), firstname.lastname@example.org
See our group here
Ph.D. Physics, National Institute of Technology Calicut, India (2014)
M.Tech. Optoelectronics and Optical Communication, University of Kerala, India (2009)
M.Sc. Physics, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala, India (2006)
B.Sc. Physics, University of Kerala, Kerala, India (2004)
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Umeå University, Sweden (2018-19)
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Griffith University, Australia (2015-17)
- Research Associate, Raman Research Institute, India (2014-15)
- Project Assistant, Raman Research Institute, India (2010-11)
Ultrafast and attosecond science, High harmonic generation, Intense light-matter interaction, Laser produced plasmas, Nonlinear optics
- Assistant Professor, SPAP, Mahatama Gandhi University, Kottayam, India (Since Oct 2019)
- Full-time (Guest) Lecturer, Catholicate College, Pathanamthitta, India. (Jan – Nov 2007)
Selected FIVE Publications in Peer-Reviewed Journals
- Contrast improvement of sub-4 fs laser pulses using nonlinear elliptical polarization rotation
N. Smijesh, X. Zhang, P. Fischer, A. A. Muschet, R. Salh, A. Tajalli, U. Morgner, and Veisz. Optics Letters, 44 (16), 4028-4031 (2019).
- Plasma plumes produced by laser ablation of Al with single and double pulse schemes
N. Smijesh, Kavya H. Rao, D. Chetty, I. V. Litvinyuk, R. T. Sang. Optics Letters, 43 (24), 6081-6084 (2018).
- Ultrafast Laser produced zinc Plasma: Stark Broadening of emission lines in a nitrogen ambient
Kavya H. Rao, N. Smijesh, Jijil JJ Nivas, R. Philip, Phys. Plasmas 23, 043503 (2016)
- Acceleration of neutrals in a nanosecond laser-produced nickel plasma
N. Smijesh, K. Chandrasekharan, and R. Philip, Phys. Plasmas 21, 123507 (2014)
- Emission dynamics of an expanding ultrafast-laser produced Zn plasma under different ambient pressures
N. Smijesh and R. Philip, J. Appl. Phys. 114, 093301 (2013)
- Local organizing committee member of the ISWAP-2017, a satellite conferences of ICPEAC-2017
- Reviewer for Science Direct, OSA, and AIP journals.
- Ultrafast Science and its Opportunities, International Webinar on Advances in Materials and nanostructures -IWAM – 2020, NSS Hindu College, Changanachery, Kerala, India 13/11/2020
- Femtoseconds to attoseconds, Webinar, Catholicate College, Pathanamthitta, Kerala, India on 16/09/2020
- Walk with a scholar program, T. K. Madhava Memmorial College, Nangiarkulangara, Haripad, Kerala State, India on 24/02/2020
- Walk with a scholar program, Devamatha College, Kuruvilangad, Kottayam, Kerala, India on 13/01/2020
- Information session for higher secondary students, Government Girls Higher Secondary School, Vaikom, Kerala, India on 16/11/2019
- Optimization of laser-produced plasma for high-order harmonic generation at the Dept. of Physics, Umea University, Umea, Sweden on 21 Fab 2018.
- High-order harmonic generation and Attosecond Physics’ at the Dept. of Optoelectronics, University of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram, India on 14 Nov 2017
- Spectroscopy and optical time of flight studies of laser-produced metal plasmas: short pulse and ultrafast excitations’ at the Raman Research Institute, Bangalore, India. on 10 Sept 2014.
- Successful in achieving the Griffith University Postdoctoral Fellowship (GUPF) grant in 2015.
- Best poster award for the poster titled \Laser produced plasma emission studies in solid targets” N. Smijesh, M. Sha Ollakkan, and R. Philip, in the Fifth SERB school on Tokamaks and magnetized Plasma Fusion, held during 25 Feb 2013 to 15 Mar 2013 at the Institute for Plasma Research, Gandhinagar, India (http://www.serb.gov.in).
- Qualified GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering, a national level test conducted in India) in 2007.